Tuesday 14 August 2007

It's yesterday once more

Throughout my childhood, it seemed school holiday telly meant one thing and one thing only. Old black and white serials on BBC1.
The finest example of this genre being The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe.
As sure as day follows night and the Weather follows the News, it would be on. Until that is, the early 80's. Suddenly grainy old black and white serials fell out of favour, and the yoof went off in search of The Kids of Degrassi High and The Red Hand Gang-although I'm not sure if that series was ever shown in Northern Ireland-leaving poor old Robinson and his man Friday to gather dust in a French film library.
As touched upon on an earlier posting, until the age of 7 I grew up with just the one channel, and tv during the day was a treat. And I loved Robinson Crusoe.
And now, it's back, back, back! Thanks to the good people at Network DVD, those grainy images are available whenever you want them.
And surprisingly, it's as good as it ever was. The opening scenes with the ship being battered by huge breaking waves, as one by one the crew are sent overboard or crushed to death are worthy of many films made today on multi million pound sets.
Given that the last time I watched any of this footage was 25 years ago, it's comforting that so much is still familiar, as if it was only a week ago. At times the narration jars, but maybe it's just his accent. And the music, oh what a sound. Haunting and beautiful, the hairs on the back of my neck tingled as the sweeping orchestral score soars and swoops like a seagull on the wind.
Sometimes it's easy to see the past through a haze of rose tinted nostalgia. But sometimes, just sometimes, it really is as good as you remember.

10 comments:

bethnoir said...

that doesn't happen often does it? I recently got hold of the Yellow Submarine and that is as good as I remember from mychildhood. I missed out on Robinson Crusoe though, a think I should rectifiy by the sound of it.

Gwen said...

I remember liking Champion the Wonder Horse and Zorro. Lassie was pretty good too but I seem to remember that it made me cry.

Gari said...

Favourite Champion the Wonder Horse episodes: the one with the really old pan-handler, and the one where Ricky gets Ice cream for the first time, "The time will come when everyone will know the name of Champion the Wonder Horse..."
And Yellow Submarine is the best Beatles film ever.
Isn't Eddie Yates form Corrie in that?
I also loved the Phantom Tollbooth. Although hardly anyone I know has heard of it.

bethnoir said...

I hated Lassie due to its emotional nature, and because a friend of my parents had a 'lassie' dog which bit the head off my eagle eyes action man and ate it. Ever see the Littlest Hobo? As a child I could not cope with sad dog stories.

Don't know about Eddie Yates, but Dick Emery did voices for some of the Blue Meanies. My children love the Yellow Submarine, they are big Beatles fans, number one son spent all of yesterday singing Hey Jude. I was wondering if they'd like any of the other Beatles films, any suggestions?

Gari said...

John Lennon's How I won the War?
Paul McCartney's Rupert the Bear one?
Or, thanks to all the money invested by George Harrison in HandMade Films, why not show them Withnail and I? Or any Python Film, or Time Bandits...
You'd never guess I had no children of my own would you!
"A Hard Days Night" is quite good but I can't help thinking that a lot of the appeal of Yellow Submarine lies in it's bright, surreal almost childlike animation. And the Blue Meanies.

bethnoir said...

Yes, I agree, it is the psychedelic aspects of the Yellow Submarine that appeals. Our library only has A Hard Day's Night on video and we're a DVD house these days so it will have to wait, I think.

Didn't know about Paul's Rupert one, sounds ominous! Withnail and I is one of my favourite films, but I don't think the kids are old enough for it yet. I wouldn't want them to think that gay men are predatory and drinking lighter fuel is a good way to warm up.

Have you put the film thing on your Facebook yet? Go on, you know you want to waste more time on it.

Gwen said...

I was pretty excited to discover that there is a tiny chance that I might be related to someone whom one of the characters in Withnail and I was based upon. Sadly it can't be proven but still very interesting.

bethnoir said...

Ooh, which one is it Gwen? That is really cool. I got some free tickets for the Classic British Film showings this morning, looks like Tuesday 11th September is going to be spent in the cinematic company of Richard E Grant et al.

Gari said...

Gwen, your relative didn't invent the Camberwell Carrot did he? And then go on to be the doctor in Life on Mars? Or is Michael Elphick?

Valentine Suicide said...

Der Der Der Derrrr de Derrrr...
(that's the theme music to Robinson Crusoe)

I remember the Phantom Tollbooth, wasn't it part animated?? I recall hoping my real life would turn into a cartoon (and now it has).

Did you get 'Flashing Blades' as well Gari? ("You've got to fight for what you want...") What about Belle and Sebastien? Casey Jones (a-steamin and a-rollin..).

Balls to blogging, I'm going for a 'burn' on me Chopper