Wednesday 1 August 2007

i-play u-play we all play

I'm a terrible Luddite with modern technology as opposed to the
Spinning Jenny I suppose, but in the last few years I have gone wireless, I do love a podcast, and I have an mp3 device so that wherever I go I can listen to Mark Kermode's film reviews and Danny Baker's All Day Breakfast.
Hell, I even have a myspace page and this blog thing. But today I downloaded the new super duper BBC iPlayer. I think. For a long time nothing seemed to be happening with it. I've long been a fan of the BBC Radio Player, and seldom a week goes by without me using it, so imagine my excitement when the iPlayer came online. No really, try and imagine, in fact, in much the same way the Story Makers might put it, Imagine, imagine, imagine a slightly excited Me. I got my secret codes from the BBC, I put in my account stuff, and I installed the"an end to missing 2Pints of Lager on BBC3 misery"* device and now I wait. It's downloading now, and it's taking forever. I decided to download something I had already seen, so that should the whole thing not work, I wouldn't mind too much.
So, should Holby City appear somewhere on my computer, I shall let you know. My hopes aren't high though. My computer is a bit old and knackered, and the software is a Beta program, but fingers crossed.
Still no sign of a job though. If you know of anything... I'd quite like to move to Ayr if that helps.




*actually, because of the unique way BBC3 works, I believe it takes a supreme effort to miss 2 Pints as it does appear to come round with alarming regularity, and normally as a double bill! Make it stop.

9 comments:

bethnoir said...

have to agree about 2 pints of lager, never liked it, always seems to be on! They asked me if I wanted to be a tester, but never got back to me about whether it might work on a Mac :-(

Hope it works, I could do with it so I don't miss everything like I usually do.

bethnoir said...

p.s HSBC is recruiting apparently, but I don't know if you'd want to work for them. I'd split the recruitment award if you did though :-)

Gari said...

I would be more than happy to work for HSBC, but I've never had any luck with the interviews for banks. Still, if you could give me any tips on blagging my way into a job with them you can have all of the recruitment award. At present, the i-player is not compatible with Macs or Windows VISTA, but no doubt once the Beta is sorted it'll be rolled out quickly to all.
I'm quite impressed with it though, the picture quality is as good as playing a dvd through my 'puter, and isn't pixelated in the same way as YouTube is. It is however, terribly slow at downloading.

bethnoir said...

Well, at least you can feed back the speed of download to them and maybe they can improve it.

I applied for the bank because I was working in Blockbuster video at the time, where I didn't get to sit down at all or have a lunch break and I figured those two things would be better than 7 free videos a week.

I reckon it was my total surprise that they called me plus my conviction that they'd never want to employ me that made me successful at interview. Not conventional advice perhaps, but it worked for me.

Nothing verntured, nothing gained, I say.

Gwen said...

Why don't you try come of the agencies. They might be able to help. Although I have found them a bit hit and miss in the past they got me my current job.

Gari said...

Welcome back from Edinburgh Gwen.
I've registered with a few agencies, but so far nothing coming from them as such. Still, I have until the end of next month to find something. Although, I am amused by the phone calls I am getting from the agencies, most are along the lines of "will you be travelling every day from Fort William to Ayr/Glasgow/Southend on Sea if you get the job?"

bethnoir said...

Southend on Sea, that would be a long commute! Crossing fingers for you :-)

Gari said...

I think I'd like the challenge of a daily commute to Southend. Mind you, back in the day I used to travel from Southend to Lakeside every day, a distance of 26 miles, most days it would take me 2 hours by bus. I moved.

Gwen said...

I know someone who travelled (and perhaps still does travel) from Greenock to London! He has a house in Greenock and goes down by plane to his London flat during the week and back again at the weekend. I reckon he earns mega bucks though. Best of luck.