Tuesday 19 June 2007

Never a frown, with Gordon Brown

New Labour, New Leader, New book in the shops now.
And I have to say, rather good it is too.
Eight essays about individuals who have, in Gordon Brown's opinion, shown great courage when others may have taken the easy option. Each subject has that all important moral compass to guide them, and at times it is almost as if the profiles are really parables set out in the Gospel according to Gordon.
But the profiles are written with warmth and a very healthy lack of cynicism, which is rare these days, the language used isn't overly worthy, but manages to avoid the trap of being dumbed down.
In his introduction, Gordon Brown recalls, at the age of ten, being given an encyclopedia on twentieth century history,which told of the great deeds by the likes of Ernest Shackleton, the attempt on Everest by Mallory and Irvine and the sacrifice made by Captain Oates, and yet it is the story of Edith Cavell a nurse working in Brussels at the start of the First World War that left the biggest impression on him. And it is the courage of people such as her that has inspired him to write this book. The almost super human compassion and good that can exist in even the darkest of days is what is celebrated here.
Of course, these short essays cannot tell the full story of each individual, there is much that is unsavoury in some these lives, but it does work as a good introduction to some remarkable people.
And likewise, much as I have enjoyed this book, that is all this review is of.
I will return to the author in good time.

4 comments:

Gwen said...

It sounds like a good book, but that wouldn't necessarily get me voting for Gordon

bethnoir said...

I admire the gravity of your reading matter. I've been escaping with a very large book by fantasy author Tad Williams, less useful, but entertaining in its way.

Gari said...

Gwen, my review of Gordy B is pending, and Beth, I need a bit of gravity in my reading matter, normally it's just Garfeild cartoons with me. I am shallower than a puddle.

Gwen said...

I'm looking forward to your views of Gordon. I'm just not sure what to think at the moment.